Wednesday 20 March 2013

YSI and London!

Hello Everyone!
                      As you can probably tell, I'm in a pretty good mood. For Project Smilier (links at the bottom!) we recently got our hoodies! They're lime/apple green and look amazing! 

If you're wondering what Project Smilier is, I'll tell you about it. We're a YSI (Young Social Innovators) group promoting positive mental health in our community and nationwide. We're also trying to remove the stigma towards mental health in general. I joined the group for a lot of reasons, to continue Project Smile (last years group) and also to remove the stigma towards depression and just mental health in general. To show that by speaking out you're stronger than trying to fight depression or mental health issues on you're own. It's a tough battle with support, but even worse when you tell nobody about it.


But yes, that's what we do. We've been in contact with a lot of influential people too, who have been so supportive of us. I was telling my uncle about the project just before the Speak Out and he was so proud that we were trying to make a difference, especially because mental health issues and suicide are huge in the local area.


So today (Wednesday) we travelled up to the Red Cow hotel for the YSI Speak Out, where your group speaks for two minutes about your project. We had actually achieved so much that we couldn't fit it all in! I thought our performance went well, yes, we did have some hiccups but as we re-watched the video recorded of us, we realised you could barely notice them! To be honest, I was quite happy with the performance. 


On Friday night/ Saturday morning, I'm getting a flight with 20 or so other students to London! I can't wait. The trip is a history trip, so we're going to really historical places like the Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and Houses of Parliament to name but very few! We're even going shopping in one of the biggest shopping centre's in Europe, woot. 


So I'll be back on Tuesday morning, exhausted but hopefully delighted with the trip! :) I'm so excited, I can't wait to go to the London Eye and Olympic Park.


I still haven't edited my YouTube videos (argh) so I mightn't be posting anything until Easter if I'm lucky! :( 


Anyways, bye! 



Project Smilier Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProjectSmilier

Project Smilier Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ProjectSmilierGCS
Email us at projectsmilier@hotmail.co.uk 

And... YANA, You Are Never Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog! I appreciate it so much.