Sunday 24 May 2015

Sixth Year Update: Finishing School, Yearbooks, Hoodies, Grad Night and Voting!

Hey Everyone!

I realise it has been a while since I last updated here and my YouTube series, ''Letters to the Leaving Cert'' so here is what has been happening in Sixth Year. This post is quite photo heavy but I hope all you visual people enjoy it.

Last week was our last week as Sixth Year students. The week really and truly flew by. On Tuesday we were given our hoodies, Wednesday was our awards ceremony, yearbook day and last official day of classes. Thursday evening was our graduation. I still find it difficult to comprehend that six years have passed in the blink of an eye. I still remember my first day as a First Year back in 2009, fill with excitement and wonder at the idea of a fresh start.

The awards ceremony was an absolute blur. All I can really remember is lots of clapping, music and smiles. I ended up winning four awards, an unexpected shock to me. I won an award for participating in the Senior History Quiz Team (we came second - by a point) an award for my history RSR (Research Study Report) an Academic (for my mock results) and a medal for having a 'Star Journal' ie a tidy journal.

After the awards, we all went and had our ''Last Supper'' together at lunchtime. We moved all the benches into the centre and all ate together. We had 3 last classes which we attended, giddy, hyper and excited for our new adventure. We all went to collect our Yearbooks and got as many friends to sign them before inevitably leaving. It was emotionally charged to say the least. I can recall sitting on the grass, gazing at everyone smiling and laughing, thinking how this will be one of the last times we'll see each other as one whole group.

On Thursday evening, we had our Graduation mass in the gym. We were all given a tree (mine was Hazelwood) which I planted on Saturday afternoon when the sun was beaming down. Afterwards we all got changed for the obligatory grad night out. We all spent ages taking photos (I have so many notifications of being tagged in photos over the past few days, it is hilarious) and headed off to the local hotel and then into town. I won't go into details but it was a brilliant night and everyone was in such high, flying spirits. It was a fabulous night filled with lots of fun and laughter.

On Friday, I went and emptied my locker and returned the key. It was strange saying goodbye to the locker. It was originally my brother's locker but I given the locker when he finished. I have 'before' and 'after' photos down below. I used to get many compliments and funny conversation starters due to some of my posters, mainly Dan and Phil fandom members spotted them!

I also voted for the first time this week! If you've been living under a rock, Ireland had a referendum on marriage equality (also one on presidential candidate age - which was rejected) It was quite exhilarating being a part of democracy. On Saturday in between study breaks I checked the counts, literally whooping and cheering when I heard that the referendum passed! I'm so proud to be Irish, especially as we're the first country to pass gay marriage by popular vote.


The Squad on the last day!




Sending snapchats to Jane

One of my articles in the yearbook! I have to say I'm quite proud of this article.

Some lovely messages from my friends at the back of my yearbook! 


Before I emptied the locker.. 

After the locker was cleaned.. sad times..

*credit to Robyn Burton for the photos below*











Post-voting selfie!


So that's all from me, hope you enjoyed this post. Next time I write will most likely be after the Leaving Cert. Next week I have revision blocks in school then it's the exams - scary!
Stay Strong, Happy & Fearless!
Aveen 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog! I appreciate it so much.